BY RACHEL ROY
When walking into a strange setting for the first time there are so many faces and so many different places. Even the familiar Tim Hortons is crazy with its super long lines. You can’t help but feel overwhelmed.
At Conestoga’s Doon campus, the Student Life Centre has an information desk where you can get help. It is by Door 3, and offers the treasure you have been searching for.
This desk is staffed from Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Staff are friendly and knowledgeable student leaders who will answer any questions you may have.
Emma Bradshaw, who works part-time at the desk, said don’t be afraid to approach staff even if they are working on the computer. “Come up and interrupt us, we’re all friendly, we’re here to help.”
Some of the things they can assist you with include:
- Getting directions and information about the Student Life Centre.
- Booking group work rooms.
- Getting contact information for Conestoga staff and faculty.
- Assisting you with the Grand River Transit board and Conestoga campus maps.
In a typical day staff get asked between 50 and 100 questions, so over a year they get asked thousands of questions.
Bradshaw said the oddest question she has ever been asked (and it has been asked more than once) was where a person parked his or her car.
The most common questions include:
- Where classrooms are.
- Where professor’s offices are.
- Professor’s schedules. (Staff do not have access to those but they will give you the professor’s contact information).
- Where bus passes and student cards are (two separate locations).
- Where the CSI student hub is/ where binding is.
- Where the third floor of A-wing is, because it’s hard to find.
- And where various services are located throughout the college.