December 4, 2021

The slow return to normal after the pandemic has many people excited, including those who want to venture out on Black Friday.

In Waterloo Region, some shoppers look forward to the busy day when they can search for bargains.

“Christmas is for gifts. Black Friday is for me,” said Tammy McNamee, a Waterloo Region resident who already has her shopping list ready.

Instagram survey by Lily Sherry.

“I’m definitely into Black Friday. I buy stuff for myself on Black Friday. I’m looking for an air fryer, and I’d love to find an iPad, but I can’t seem to find one on sale. So, I’ll wait until Boxing Day for that.” 

But not everyone has embraced the Black Friday tradition.  

Public opinion on Black Friday was split in an informal Instagram survey of 75 locals: 51 per cent of people are not planning on going Black Friday shopping, while the other 49 per cent look forward to grabbing the hottest sales. 

While many people say they will be shopping on Black Friday, most look to avoid the crowded malls and long lineups again this year by turning to online methods. 

The popularity of Cyber Monday, an online shopping event that takes place on the Monday following American Thanksgiving, has seen an increase in popularity.

In an informal Instagram poll of 65 Waterloo Region residents, 71 per cent of people said they preferred to do their Black Friday shopping online rather than in-person. 

Instagram survey by Lily Sherry.

Black Friday is the holiday shopping kick-off for many. The event, which initially started in the United States, and takes place following the American Thanksgiving holiday, has become a tradition for many Canadians who are just as eager to get the best sales. 

Those itching to beat the crowds can get their Black Friday shopping done early, with many sales and promotions already being offered both online and in-store. 

“I’m at Stone Road Mall today, and the Black Friday madness has already started,” said Shelia Braam, a Waterloo Region resident, on Saturday, Nov. 20.

According to a press release provided by Felicia Fefer from Walmart Canada, the main Black Friday event will take place in stores on Nov. 26 but, “customers can shop early on Walmart.ca starting on Thursday, Nov. 25, at 9 p.m.”

Fringe, a CBD oil company from Guelph, is taking a different approach to Black Friday and asks that people avoid making unnecessary purchases.

A press release provided by Heather Manning, Fringe Brand Manager, said, “stay home, or get out in nature, take some deep breaths, hold each other close, put your phones away and commune. Because that will heal you, that will afford you happiness unlike any discount or bargain can.” 

Stores at Conestoga and Fairview Mall will offer a variety of sales and promotions. 

COVID-19 policies and procedures will be in place for all in-person shoppers.

Leave a Reply